Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Matrix Exposed

Would you take the blue pill or the red pill? The Matrix movies are still relevant, but should we use them to justify our own biased views of reality and decide who is jacked in or who is unplugged? I assume most people reading this are familiar with the ideology behind the matrix movies. The main character Neo is intitially unaware that his idea of reality is actually the construct of machines, or a computer simulation called the "matrix" until he is forcefully awakened to the truth. The story is spun with a mix of high technology, violence, and religious themes that might be akin to Eastern mysticism. The movie trilogy itself is open to many interpretations, and the plot lines have been critiqued, and analyzed by many fans, and others not satisfied with the films ultimate conclusion. In a recent post the Martian Anthropologist uses the matrix analogy as a metaphor for the human condition whereby most of us are imprisoned by our own minds, and enslaved by working at jobs we hate while numbing ourselves with television, and alcohol. This is one Earthling who must beg to differ with the Martian...

In my opinion, the matrix films are visually stunning, and philosophically challenging, but they provoke more questions about the meaning of reality than they provide answers. Even if there is ultimately only "one" reality that is beyond the reach of our five senses, and imprisoned bodies, then by definition all human versions of reality are derivative, and therefore quite individual. The reality required for one person to function, and progress through life (consuming television, alcohol, heavy work, sex etc.) may be quite repugnant to another, but possibly a prerequisite for said person to achieve an ultimate, true reality for them. The movie itself does not necessarily imply that being unplugged from the matrix would be the best for all humanity, and it certainly suggests that being "unplugged" is not for the faint of heart.

Many of us would agree that the search for truth is important, and for some of us that could mean quitting lousy jobs, or turning off the television. For someone else, such as a poor immigrant, that very job may represent everything that gives them choice, freedom, and family sustenance in an uncaring world, even though they may actually hate the job itself. The television may have opened up unbelievable worlds of freedom, and beauty that they never had access to in the impoverished country of their origin. Go ahead down the rabbit hole if you dare, but don't be surprised if you find another burrow deeper in to linger at, while a few scurry by farther into the unknown. Perhaps many of us should ask ourselves what really is the matrix? Isn't it a little ironic that many of us are spending an inordinate amount of time (including the author as this post was penned) connected to the most pervasive, machine matrix on the planet, the so called World Wide Web? Wouldn't it be easier if we simply had a neural cable connected to our cerebral cortex that we could plug directly into a USB port while we surf and communicate (remember the suspended animation chambers in the movie)? The internet may be the real matrix that we all come to fear, (what year did SkyNet become active in the Terminator movie?) and while I say this with tongue planted firmly in cheek, those who aspire to find "freedom" by becoming professional web masters should take heed! It may be that until our souls no longer have any need to interact with this physical, earthly plane, then we are in a sense imprisoned within this realm no matter how we define our own reality, or someone else's. Yes, there may be lot wrong with the world, and perhaps there is a moral imperative for us to make it better, but I'm not sure that we can blame the "matrix", and our lack of will to fight it. You can achieve freedom, but then you will have to accept the responsibility, and strength of character it takes to keep it. Right now, I'm getting a little frightened of both the television, and internet matrices, so I think I'll plug into natures mosaic for a while, and go for a nice walk in the woods.


If you would like to explore some of the brilliant discussions, theories, and critiques relating to the movies see the Matrix explained. I look forward to further stimulating posts on this subject by the Martian Anthropologist, and one thing I think we would both agree on is the importance of trying to search for the truth, and reality of our own lives. See the The Matrix Exposed II for further insights including technological advances that anticipate a Matrix reality.

Technorati Tags:

15 comments:

Travel Italy said...

Beau -

Interesting reflections.

I wish to offer a point for consideration. Those of us who spend time on the web, in this capacity, is it to find information or express it.

Premise, I created the second largest IP network in Italy. I was a beta for NCSA and window U0.013.

Our internet was uucp and with those more advanced talk, the unix predecessor of IRQ, chats and finally the various messenger systems.

I spend time writing my blog because I think I have something of value to express to give others a different way of seeing the world as the various writers over time have done.

My thought is: is the internet for us the matrix with its various connotations or is it simply our "pen, paper, editor and publisher"...

David

Anonymous said...

After reading this post, I can see how you are still very much "plugged in" to our matrix. I used to be, too. Although the matrix in the movie was an actual computer program, the matrix in our world, the one that Martian is referring to, is not. Computers are a part (or product) of it, but only as much as cars or farms or stores or political parties are. The matrix runs much deeper than that. I’ll take the example you give of the poor immigrant. You actually use the matrix to support your argument. For example, you assume that a poor immigrant increasing his standard of living to our (first-world) level is a good thing. You accept the inevitability of the existence of impoverished countries, and the need for their self-improvement. This is reinforced later on with your statement of, "Yes, there is a lot wrong with the world, and there is a moral imperative for us to make it better." Why? Who decided this? Where did this school of thought - that the world is broken and somehow needs to be fixed by us - come from? From the matrix. Like the program in the movie, it is a blindfold that keeps us occupied enough so we don’t realize or notice the real truth of things, or at least don’t ask too many questions. But I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the world. I just think there’s something wrong with the matrix.

Beau said...

In response to Antonella, many of the arguments in my post were meant to trigger debate, but you have embellished some of the ideas I presented with assumptions that I do not claim to make. In the post I did use real world analogies to what the "matrix" might be, but if there really is an all pervasive matrix that we are embedded in I don't pretend to have real knowledge of its existence, or exactly what defines it. Your comments would seem to indicate that you do know what the matrix is, and I quote "Although the matrix in the movie was an actual computer program, the matrix in our world, the one that Martian is referring to, is not. Computers are a part (or product) of it, but only as much as cars or farms or stores or political parties are. The matrix runs much deeper than that." If the matrix runs so deep, how can you claim to be unplugged from it? Yes, I am wary of anyone including the Martian who claims to have special knowledge that the rest of us have not yet awoken to, while they themselves are likely very much still attached to the "matrix". I don't know if an immigrant improving his standard of living is a good thing, but from the immigrants point of view having a job, and a television in a new country may well unplug them from the matrix of a dictatorship or worse. At the same time some of us could benefit from quitting our jobs, and living in a third world country. It just depends on your point of view, and that was the point of my post. I never indicated that we should "accept the inevitability of the existence of impoverished countries, and the need for their self-improvement." I did say there is a lot wrong with the world, and if you read the Martians post he begins it with the statement "Part 1: Something is wrong with the world"! I think you have both of us pegged here, as both statements are moral judgements that can only be debated if you adopt a relativist, philosophical stance. It may well be that the world is exactly as it should be regardless of my opinion, or the Martians, and trying to make it a "better" place does sound a little quaint, although I think that may be a better option than fixing the "matrix". This whole discussion highlights the difficulties with introducing a descriptive, but amorphous, moniker like the matrix, and trying to apply it to our lives. However, such terms are probably useful if they assist any of us towards obtaining enlightenment.

(S)wine said...

is Matrix. what fark. rubbish. ah, auf auf yous mickeys fickeys!
fark os.

Beau said...

OK amp. I take it that you find the whole discussion somewhat meaningless.

Anonymous said...

Beau,

You make a good point. I think I overstepped myself a bit with my explanation. Let me put it this way: I am not unplugged from the matrix (although I very much hope to be someday), but I am now aware of it and can see it in many (though not all) places that it manifests itself. So I guess Martian and I would be more like Neo when he first wakes up - still immersed in the red goop, body plugs all still attached to the larger machine, but no longer asleep, so he can see the endless stretches of pods surrounding him, and the machines tending to them. Truly unplugging yourself is not that easy, and I don't think anyone can really do it alone. One of the difficulties for those of us who have "woken up" is that we're not exactly quite sure yet how to pull those plugs out, so the best we've done so far is try to awaken others, like Martian is doing with this whole Matrix analogy thing in the first place.

Now I know this probably sounds like a whole bunch of nonsense right about now, so I'm gonna try asking you a few more concrete questions, and see where it takes us. I'm not sure how good I am at doing this, but I'll give it my best shot and hope that you can learn something from me, and me from you. So, if you could answer the following questions as best you can:

Where do you get your food (ex. supermarket, farm stand, restaurants, etc.)? Why do you get it in that manner?

Why do you think there are so many starving people in Africa (India, South America, etc.)? How do we stop people from starving?

Finish this sentence: "The world would be a much better place if only______________ ."


What are your basic feelings about science and religion?

What, in your opinion, is the purpose of the school system?

What do you think will happen when we run out of oil?


I look forward to your responses. I know these questions cover a pretty wide range of stuff, so if you only feel like responding to one or a few of them, that's fine too.

Beau said...

In response to Travel Italy, and I apologize if the following sounds obvious, or patronizing. I would say that the Internet is a powerful tool, and resource. It can be used for good, or evil like any other technology. Personally, I believe it has, and will continue to be a source of liberation, and intellectual challenge for many, with the positive out weighing the bad, but there will always be the danger of nefarious political forces, terrorists, con artists, and big brother etc. manipulating the internet for their own purposes, so all of us need to be wary. Internet addiction in its many forms indicates the powerful, negative affect it can produce if we are not careful. Despite my remarks in the initial post, I think that blogging is one of the best ways to interact with the Net.

Beau said...

Antonella, (interestingly my sister in-law has the same name) thank you again for responding to my comments. In the next few days I will leave a proper response to your queries.

EuroYank - Virginia Hoge said...

very interesting comments. you all need to get out of the matrix!

Beau said...

Neo (euroyank) has finally weighed in on the discussion! I think that the matrix is fine as an analogy for mindless, adherence to societal conventions, and conditioning, but it shouldn't be used by those who fancy themselves as "awakened" to criticize the specific habits, or lifestyles (jobs, alcohol use, television watching) of others. In my opinion spiritual awakening is highly individual, and transcends physical circumstances at some point. If we take the matrix metaphor too far, then we get mired down in cumbersome debate as to what constitutes a real world matrix. I believe the keys to our freedom lie within, and when we discover those keys the external world or "matrix" will change for the better.

Anonymous said...

Hey Beau,

Not sure if the above comment was directed at me, but by "awakened" I am NOT referring to spirituality. Being aware of the matrix has more to do with history, anthropology and science than it does with anything else, really. Perhaps "awakened" is a poor choice of words; I guess I was using it in keeping with the Matrix analogy of Neo literally "waking up" in that pod. Sorry if that caused more confusion than it should have.

Beau said...

Antonella, here are some sketchy answers to the questions you posed, but by no means do they reflect my full opinions, or beliefs in these matters. I would agree that there are many forms of awakening, but to me spiritual awakening is the most important.

Q. Where do you get your food (ex. supermarket, farm stand, restaurants, etc.)? Why do you get it in that manner?

A. I try and eat healthy food, where ever it can be obtained in a convenient fashion.

Q. Why do you think there are so many starving people in Africa (India, South America, etc.)? How do we stop people from starving?

A. The reasons for starvation in any country are many, and have complex economic, political, and geographic overtones, but I am no expert here.

Q. Finish this sentence: "The world would be a much better place if only ___________ ."

A. people could stop hating, and aspire to love.

Q. What are your basic feelings about science and religion?

A. Science and Religion both seek to understand the unknown. The skeptical bridge between the two is being crossed as modern particle physics shows many parallels with eastern mysticism, and other religious ideas.

Q. What, in your opinion, is the purpose of the school system?

A. The western school systems aspire to educate their citizens as a democratic right. Unfortunately state supplied education may be prone to political manipulation, and may not always fulfill the educational needs of individuals.

Q. What do you think will happen when we run out of oil?

A. We may not run out of oil, although there is some evidence to the contrary. At the moment it is an over used, polluting energy commodity. If we do run out of oil, I believe there will be some viable, alternate energy sources to replace it that are friendlier to the environment.

I hope this helps, but I think in the end we will agree to disagree on our interpretation of the matrix, if indeed it is even a useful concept. I look forward to your response, but I am getting geared up for future posts. This matrix stuff is getting too serious :-).

Anonymous said...

Hi Beau,

Thanks for the responses. I've just come back from a week-long vacation with no internet (my eyes feel sooo much better!), so I'll try to post a response as soon as I can.

Kabooke Quantum Fighter said...

awesome post, i will definately check the link. the matrix trilogy is the most fascinating piece of art of our time. i am a big fan. i a wrote a piece on the matrix on my blog. anyways, if you have write more matrix stuff lemme know.

Beau said...

I'm pleased you enjoyed the post guns'n'baddus. In case you missed it there is a second post about the matrix on this blog if you are interested, and I will let you know if I do any other posts on this subject. If you would like me to read the matrix post on your blog, then please give me a link to it (couldn't find it when I went to your blog site). Note from the matrix: I'm going to try jumping from the top of the Empire state building onto the Chrysler building next time I'm in New York as I'm not quite ready to fly yet :-).