Sunday, November 20, 2005

The Matrix Exposed II

Recent scientific research indicates that the technology to create a Matrix scenario may become a reality. "Now, neuroscientists in the McGovern Institute at MIT have been able to decipher a part of the code involved in recognizing visual objects. Practically speaking, computer algorithms used in artificial vision systems might benefit from mimicking these newly uncovered codes". In theory a computerized machine will be able to stimulate the brain directly with coded signals, and create visual images. In another story here "Sony patent takes first step towards real-life Matrix". "IMAGINE movies and computer games in which you get to smell, taste and perhaps even feel things. That's the tantalizing prospect raised by a patent on a device for transmitting sensory data directly into the human brain - granted to none other than the entertainment giant Sony. The technique suggested in the patent is entirely non-invasive. It describes a device that fires pulses of ultrasound at the head to modify firing patterns in targeted parts of the brain, creating "sensory experiences" ranging from moving images to tastes and sounds. This could give blind or deaf people the chance to see or hear, the patent claims". This technique doesn't even require a direct connection to the cerebral cortex! Military interests are already exploring methods to "harness the power of the Matrix" so that mind bending Holodeck type training simulators can be made to mimic real life crisis situations. Presumably these would accurately depict the geographic and physical characteristics of the targeted environment...


Technology is coming at us like a freight train, and so concerns about mind control, and real, computerized, brain matrices are not unfounded. The research described also implies incredible potential to help people with medical problems relating to the senses, or brain function. The previous post generated some interesting comments, and discussion about the "matrix". These philosophical discussions can become circular bouts of naval gazing, even though trying to find meaning in our lives may be important. After beating this matrix analogy in to the ground where have I arrived? In my opinion spiritual awakening is highly individual, and transcends physical circumstances, and technological threats at some point. If we take the matrix metaphor too far, then we get mired down in cumbersome debate as to what constitutes a real world matrix. I believe the keys to our freedom lie within, and when we discover those keys the external world or "matrix" will change for the better. Many thanks to travel italy, Antonella, and euroyank for contributing to the discussions. There is a compelling philosophical discussion about the nature of truth seeking titled: In the Matrix, which pill would you take, the red or the blue?

Technoratic Tags:


3 comments:

Travel Italy said...

I have worked in Technology all my life and I am always excited about exploring some new frontier, doing things better, overcoming age old problems but these advances, already in the works for some 20 years concern me.

Not because I believe we should not intervene to resolve problems but because I have a problem with government and big corporations. I guess my question is whether or not the human race has progressed ethically to the point that it can use the technological advances properly. On the other hand if we do not get these advances out in the open, they will still be developed and, we could find ourselves with no discussion whatsoever.

Tough topic. You should write a book!

David

I know my response is very superficial but this topic could be researched and debated for years.

Beau said...

Thanks for your input, and encouragement David, although I believe others with more expertise on this subject could write a better book. I think it's time to pursue some lighter topics for my future posts. These matrix posts aren't all that humorous either, and I enjoy that type of writing.

By the way, anyone who enjoys Italy, and Italian culture should really visit travel italy for a zesty experience.

Jerome said...

Wow I just read this blog post and the first part and I definitely forgot to look at the technological aspect of The Matrix. Not just the psychological/philosophical/religious side of it.

Although I must say that I love technology but I do agree when you said "technology is coming for us like a freight train."

It's coming but I think in both good and bad ways. And maybe more bad than good due to companies like Sony (which I am a fan of by the way)

This post here actually reminded me of the movie Avatar. To me is does sound a bit scary when technology begins to cross the line of physical and spiritual planes. Great post on the matrix!!! :D