Monday, October 31, 2005

Skipping Halloween

Thought I'd turn out the house lights tonight, and pretend no one's home, but I'll probably just stay in the dungeon, and come out occasionally to give the Halloweeners a scare. I won't even need a costume to do that. At least it's not a full moon, so I don't have to check for hair growing on my knuckles. In these days of the health conscious consumer you'd think that something other than candy would be handed out on Halloween, although I'm sure it makes a lot of dentists happy. Oh well, it's just once a year, and Halloween seems to be a waning practice anyway. By the way hoodlums, keep your eggs to yourself this year! It's really just a waste of a perfectly good egg.

Yours Truly,
Halloween Scrooge

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must admit that I also left my home in darkness and escaped to my daughter's house where she and her husband both wearing pumpkin hats were gleefully greeting small and( some not so small ) witches and goblins at their door. They were almost competing with each other for door duty and engaged every child (and accompanying parent) in animated conversation. When I commented to my daughter that I found this whole excercise tedious she suggested that I had become very jaded which is likely quite accurate. However I cannot understand why any parent would go to the trouble of dressing a child under the age of three and drag them about "halloweening' unless it is for their own enjoyment. There was a time when I enjoyed Halloween but in those days the onus was on my children to invent their own costumes from what was available in the house with a few suggestions from me and some advice re safety precautions while out in the neighborhood. If being labelled a "halloween scrooge''or being jaded because I cannot believe how this particular day has become so commercialized then so be it.